Music is a multiple category discipline. You may apply in a variety of musical instruments, as well as music composition.
Requirements vary for each category. Please review the specific requirements for your category carefully before applying to the YoungArts program.
Submission Upload Procedures
Before you can upload any of your submission materials, you must first complete the entire application. Once your main application form is complete, you will be sent, via email, a submission upload link. You will submit your materials to this link, as well as a mandatory Music Submission Form. In this email, you also will receive your unique YoungArts ID number. You will use this ID number on your submission materials. Please do not share your ID number or your link with anyone.
Your work will be evaluated on its merit alone in a blind adjudication process. Therefore, do not put your name or any identifying information anywhere in or on your submission materials.
For Instrumental Applicants:
- Tone Production – the ability to achieve a quality of sound appropriate to the instrument and to the style of the music.
- Technique – the degree to which the performer has acquired control of the instrument.
- Rhythm – the ability to establish, maintain and project rhythms of a wide range of complexity.
- Intonation – proper tuning of the instrument and in-tune playing.
- Interpretation – the ability to project a convincing conception of the selection.
Phrasing – sensitivity to the need for phrasing and the ability to execute it.
For Music Composition Applicants:
- Musical Ideas – the quality of the musical material on which the composition is based.
- Musical Structure – the extent to which an underlying structure exists and is apparent.
- Control of Medium – understanding of and idiomatic use of voices and instruments.
What Panelists Look For
“Present the music and what you feel it all means, and what that means to you.”
“Make obvious your sincerity and enthusiasm for the music and the art of performance.”
“Perform as if nothing else really matters for those few moments in your life.”
“Radiate sincerity and enthusiasm for what you are doing.”
“Participants should exemplify the best of the best – in other words, the future pioneers in the creative and performing arts.”