Please submit a portfolio that includes
A) Ten images:
- Five (5) images should reflect a consistent body of work based on a cohesive idea or technique.
- Five (5) images should show the full range of your work and interests.
B) Contact Sheet:
- An 8.5 x 11 inch file at 300 dpi of 20-24 thumbnails (each one with a maximum dimension of 2 inches) of images that supplement the main folio submissions.
- The images on this sheet should display your creative and photographic process involved in the creation of one or more images from the submitted portfolio.
You are responsible for the quality of your submission and the quality of the digital images will affect judging. Digital images that are out of focus, poorly lit, or difficult to see will be disqualified. (There are no refunds even if your materials are disqualified).
Photography Submission Guidelines
- Please present work that will best exemplify the quality of your artistic pursuits while also clearly expressing a visual point of view.
- The portfolio should demonstrate original thinking and a willingness to take creative risks. While it is expected that you will consult with your teachers in the selection of portfolio material, you are urged to submit work you feel best represents your personal creative interests.
- All forms of photography are accepted in any format including: documentary, color, black and white, non-silver processes, digital, and mixed media.
- Work need not be done during the current year, but must be original work and can be done in or out of school.
- Work that suggests visual plagiarism (i.e., a direct copy of another artist's work) will not be accepted.
- You are responsible for the quality of the submission. Incomplete or improperly formatted submissions will be disqualified. (There are no refunds for disqualified submissions.)
Formatting Submission for Upload
- Image File Size: Maximum of 6 x 9 inches at 300 dpi.
- Image File Size: Minimum of 500 KB / Maximum 6MB.
- Image File Format: JPEG (JPG)
Do not, as part of your submission:
- Use images designated as “web-ready”
- Submit slideshows
- Submit PowerPoint presentations
- Submit animations
- Submit movies
- Submit audio with your pictures
- Embed your images into Microsoft Word
- Place your name anywhere on the image
Technical specifications for images created using a digital camera:
- Set camera for "fine" or "extra fine" resolution, not "web" or "normal".
- Pixel size camera setting: Minimum 1200 x 1800 Click here for instructions to reduce image files larger than 4MG (PC users Only)
Technical specifications for scanning photographs:
- Scan slides or film at 100% at a minimum of 1500 dpi.
- Scan photographs at 100% at 300 dpi if photo is approximately 4 x 6 inches or larger (8 x 10 inches) photographs use 250 dpi.
- Photographs larger than 6 x 9 inches, decrease the dpi by 50 for each additional size scale. (For example, scan photographs at 100%, but at 250 dpi for 8 x 10 or 200 dpi for 9 x 12 inches).
- Scan photographs at 100% using at least 600 dpi if photo is smaller than 4 x 6 inches.
Minimize use of digital manipulation. A complicated effect using Photoshop will not impress the judges.