Voice is a multiple category discipline. You may apply in:
Requirements vary for each category and discipline. Please review the specific requirements for your discipline and category carefully before applying to the YoungArts program.
Submission Upload Procedures
Before you can upload any of your submission materials, you must first complete the entire application. Once your main application form is complete, you will be sent, via email, a submission upload link. You will submit your materials to this link, as well as a mandatory Voice Submission Form. In this email, you also will receive your unique YoungArts ID number. You will use this ID number on your submission materials. Please do not share your ID number or your link with anyone.
Your work will be evaluated on its merit alone in a blind adjudication process. Therefore, do not put your name or any identifying information anywhere in or on your submission materials.
- Tone Production – the ability to achieve a quality of sound appropriate to the type of voice and to the style of the music.
- Technique – the degree to which the performer has acquired control of the voice.
- Diction – accurate pronunciation and clear articulation.
- Intonation – singing in tune.
- Interpretation – the ability to project a convincing conception of the piece.
- Phrasing– sensitivity to the need for phrasing and the ability to execute it.
What Panelists Look For
“The participant’s performance should indicate a background of musical study – and the potential for serious growth, development and individuality.”
“Pop and jazz are encouraged to avoid the imitation of pop/jazz icons and to develop a distinctive style that is particular to their own unique abilities.”
“The goals should be authenticity, attention to lyrics, emotional truth, honesty of expression, and a direct connection to the audience.”
“The participant’s performance should be balanced: technique and passion; head and heart; substance and style.”